Day 10: Sunday

I combined my morning walk with visiting the Farmers' Market, which counts as buying food. There were 10% to 20% fewer vendors than last Sunday, so I made a point of thanking the ones I bought from. It's hard to know how many are staying home because they want to stay safe and how many are simply getting fewer customers than before and so no longer find it worthwhile to come. Conceivably, some are running out of stock due to panic buying, but most of what they sell is too perishable to tempt panic buyers. I did see a line at a stall that sells bread, with people well spaced out. Some vendors wore gloves when handling money, but not all. It would be easy for a coin to spread virus; as it happened, I bought in whole numbers of dollars (and some vendors have long preferred to round the final amount pretty ruthlessly rather than hand out, or ask for, coins).

It's three weeks to the next scheduled Sunday Assembly, so we held a meeting to plan what online platforms we would consider and how to adapt our program. It was proposed to organise the April event around a TED talk, and some of us volunteered to look for a good one. We have heard what other Assemblies around the USA are doing, some of them far ahead of us. I had been proposing to suspend my discussion group, due in one week, but I announced that it would go ahead. So I may be a guinea pig.

There are stories in the news about people who, be it for religious reasons or out of plain old youthful risk-seeking, ostentatiously ignore distancing and other precautions. I hear from someone at work how a relative of his regards trace-and-test as the act of a police state and doesn't want to co-operate. All I know is that I see and hear none of that hereabouts.

The events of the wider world are getting repetitive. Another few hundred Italians dead, another country locking down, Jair Bolsonaro still in denial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 27. Wednesday. Bike again.

Setting the Scene

Day 43. Saturday. Stable, not out of danger.