Day 9: Saturday

Saturday is the day when I rest as much as I want to after a hard week's work. We even eat out -- or, these days, get take-out food, which today was pizza. I've done a few fun things and feel pretty cheerful.

Cheerful enough, in fact, to dig out the folder from that talk I went to last year, at my wife's encouragement, on setting your affairs in order well before you die, which can save your spouse and/or children a good deal of trouble and expense. Not to mention making it easier for them to convince doctors to heed their recommendations. A patient who has a breathing tube down his throat is not going to be able to tell the doctors anything, and he (that is, I) may well be drugged enough that what he might say would have no legal force. The money is not a big problem: nearly everything we own is covered under "community property", so my wife won't even have to inherit it: it is already hers.

No, I'm not showing symptoms, nor have I been exposed to anyone outside the family; I haven't been outside our garden fence all day, though tomorrow I expect to exercise as usual. I'm carrying on with my life as if there were going to be thirty more years of it, and in all likelihood, there will be. But a few cheap and easy precautions and preparations are well worth taking. Within the house, we are wiping the kitchen daily with the aformentioned disinfectant wipes, and I am

As Rhett Butler says at one point in Gone With The Wind, "My losses do mount up." The county now has 33% more cases than yesterday, or 39% more than on Thursday. It's still a fast growth rate, even if some of it is due to more tests being done. Italy is a horror story, soldiers in the streets, with Spain not far behind, and I'm told that California will deploy its National Guard to improve compliance with shelter-in-place orders.

Good news: Helen Chu and SETREP-ID. I also hear that some existing drugs, whose safety record is known, are found to be at least partly effective.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 27. Wednesday. Bike again.

Setting the Scene

Day 43. Saturday. Stable, not out of danger.