Day 20: Wednesday

Today on my walk I met one of the people who used to be at the Caltrain station every morning when I caught my train. She is still commuting that way. I hope she is a medic or otherwise doing truly essential work. I also saw two dogs being walked -- one by a couple, who very kindly stepped into an entryway so I could pass them at a social distance -- and perhaps two other walkers; I remember only one vehicle.

At work, the higher-ups are continuing their efforts to provide us some degree of contact and information, by scheduling small group chats. There is also some thought of reallocating under-utilised people -- do we really have any of those?

The numbers mostly show more small steps in the right direction. I am alarmed that I now regard a one-week doubling time as a good thing. But if we can reduce R-zero by that much again (from one third, to one seventh, to, <thinks> minus one twenty-first), the pandemic will disappear eventually. Except that restrictions on movement will be relaxed before it does. The end-game will require thoughtful management and plenty of antibody tests. The latter may well be forthcoming.

Local sources tell us that some businesses, small and large, are simply flouting the restrictions this week. Yes, even here. There are also articles starting to appear on what it feels like to recover from CoViD-19. As I had already more than suspected, even the "mild" symptoms are nothing to laugh at, One patient mentioned being too weak to get out of bed. Meanwhile, if you want to be of some help to science, https://covid.joinzoe.com/ gives resident of the UK and US a way to do so, yes, even those who are feeling well (which is still most of us). Most of the information I'll contribute will be negative, indeed I hope all of it will, but that too is valuable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 27. Wednesday. Bike again.

Setting the Scene

Day 43. Saturday. Stable, not out of danger.