Day 22: Friday. On the bike.

Yes, today I put my wool socks on (it's chilly for April), got the old Specialized down off the wall, and pedal out, for the first time in almost four weeks. It felt a bit unfamiliar. I don't think I've been entirely off a bike that long in decades. The roads were indeed quiet, and I covered five miles. I used two main roads, which were not so quiet, but had plenty of gaps between the traffic.

At work, there was a newsletter with photos of interesting work-at-home rigs, one using an ironing board! Yes, we have one of those too, but I'm not planning to use it; all of these photos showed a laptop only, with no large monitor. These days, I find the latter indispensable.

We are now being advised to wear cloth masks outside (but not the medical-grade equipment). I have an old ear warmer that will be better than nothing. Better news is that the country reports only 90% week-on-week growth in both cases and deaths; I've not yet found a graph of hospital cases, but numbers are available at CalMatters showing the growth relative to the previous day, which now stands at 18% or a doubling time slightly over four days. The death toll, as reported in the NYTimes, is still doubling every 3 days for both the US (at 7k) and UK (at 3k). No other country has reached 7k deaths while growing as fast as the US; only Spain has even reached 3k while growing that fast. Don't ask me about Brazil.

I'm going to skip the bad news for today and listen to that song again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 27. Wednesday. Bike again.

Setting the Scene

Day 43. Saturday. Stable, not out of danger.